Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

For Lack of a Muse

It's much easier for me to write after a day of not doing very much than after a day spent actively and with friends. Unfortunately for my blogging, this is summer break, and my priorities aren't exactly all about coming up with excellent articles.

Hey, I'm not exactly getting paid, am I?

Writing requires a step back. I once wrote a the lines: "so step back with me and see; seven billion lost people; living out their live's in a dream." ~Seven Billion Lost People

This is indeed the best mind set for writing. One must be far enough away from the situation for the creative juices to start flowing. Sometimes I find I'm perfectly happy in my current situation and I don't want to step away from it.

This is only part of the problem. The other is summed up pretty well by Shakespeare.

Where art thou, Muse, that thou forget'st so long
To speak of that which gives thee all thy might?
Spend'st thou thy fury on some worthless song,
Darkening thy power to lend base subjects light?
Return, forgetful Muse, and straight redeem
In gentle numbers time so idly spent;
Sing to the ear that doth thy lays esteem
And gives thy pen both skill and argument.
Rise, resty Muse, my love's sweet face survey,
If Time have any wrinkle graven there;
If any, be a satire to decay,
And make Time's spoils despised every where.
Give my love fame faster than Time wastes life;
So thou prevent'st his scythe and crooked knife.
Where art thou, Muse? A muse is an inspiration. It can be a person, or any random stimulus.  Right now I'm not feeling much. I feel as though I'm dragging out this post, slowly and painfully. My heart is not in it.

"What does it feel like not to open?" I remember Bhakti saying.

I feel mostly empty. Not bad, just empty.

I'm talking to a friend, but what I'm saying to him isn't what I would say here. To him I can say exactly what's going on, here I'm limited to emotions I'm feeling.

The emotion happens to be emptiness, and that doesn't bode well for a 300 word article.

I'm out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment