Pages

Friday, July 13, 2012

Death

I lay in my bed tonight. It was warm and so I turned on the AC. I thought about death. In the movie I had just watched, Midnight in Paris, the main character had a conversation with Hemingway and he asks if the author is afraid of death. Hemingway asks him if, when he "makes love to a truly great woman," he for a second feels no fear of death. The main character, Gil, says that that had never happened to him. He had never felt fearless from death.


Later he kisses the girl he meets in a different time period that he ended up in (you'd have to watch the movie to understand) and remarks afterward that he did not feel afraid of death when he kissed her.


Lately I have not been afraid of death. In the last year or so, I started to wonder why everyone is so afraid. Hemingway himself once said that fear of death grows in proportion to gain of wealth.


There are three reasons I can think of why someone would not be afraid of death. One, he feels he has nothing to lose. Two, like in the movie, one is truly in love so that he worries only about the one he loves and does not care for himself. Three, he trusts god fully so as to be surrendered that whatever the lord plans for him is in his best interest.


I can't claim to see my reason above. The first reason is definitely part of it, also the third. The 2nd may be there to some degree, though not in the sense explained. Altogether it is part of a general ideology of how  to live my life, I believe in acceptance.


Accept pain and create with it. Accept defeat of the battle and learn from it so as to win the war. Accept the good things. Accept death as part of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment