Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Goodbye

I stood with the boys next to the bus before they left to Mississippi. I must have looked like I was one of them, but I was only there to say goodbye. I had wanted to go on the tour since I was Mayapur, but we didn't look into it until too late because we were worried about the money. The tour is expensive, I told myself, I probably wouldn't have gone even if I had not waited until after it was full. 
I had promised my good friend Ambi that I would come to the temple to say goodbye. I didn’t want to go; I even tried to text Ambi to tell him I wouldn't make it because I needed to pack for my up-coming trip to Yosemite. But he didn't get the text and I knew I had to say goodbye.
I walked past the cars and to the bus. I saw the boys, shaved heads, duffel bags, saying farewell to their parents. I found Ambi and we talked for a while. I said hello to my other friends. 
It's accepted by my friends that this has been the worst summer ever. I couldn't agree more, my friends were leaving and I had only done a fraction of the things I hoped to do with them. They at least have the bus tour, a month of traversing the U.S., Canada, and Mexico while living on a bus with their friends.
It started to rain. A drop here and there, a steady drizzle, then it poured. They had to go onto the bus to avoid getting wet. Water rolled down my cheeks like tears and dripped off my chin.
I said farewell to Ambi and we hugged. I climbed onto the bus and walked down the aisle and looked for my other best friend. I stepped over bags and legs. Finally I found Nay on one of the lower bunks and I said goodbye.
"Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye,” we shared a smile.
I stood in the rain again. Water soaked my shirt and they were gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment