Pages

Friday, July 6, 2012

The Purpose of Blogging

I'm gonna be honest with you. I write to express myself in the strongest, if not most lucid, way. I love to write poetry because it is easy to evoke strong feeling. Concrete poems bring images. Ballads tell stories. And it's all done with a flow, in a musical way. 

Someday I'd like to be able to write short stories and novels. If I'm putting this much work into my writing I would want to be working on those things. 

But blog writing? In the past year I have became disinterested with blogging as a medium for sharing life experiences. Blogging is a good way to share your life, but it has no place in the world of art. Single posts can rarely be so good as to bring attention to themselves from a large audience, and although it would be possible to create a book from numerous blog posts, I would feel more inclined to actually write a book. 

In a blog post you can accurately represent an event. But you can't make it more than what it is. If you do, then it will be considered that you are overly dramatizing it. With a poem, short story or novel over dramatization is not a problem, story lines should be dramatic and poems should evoke strong emotion. Where do blog posts fit in?

On a blog, Edgar Allen Poe could have written: "My wife died. I'm sad. Feel sorry for me." If he had made a bigger fuss out of it people would think "Hey, everyone has tragedy in their life. Your a raging lunatic." 

But in poetry he could express his feelings in a way that touched everyone who read them and lasted and will last for centuries. No one complained. No one didn't read it because his problem was immature, they had more serious things to think about like global warming or the deaths of many people. 

What is the purpose of blogging really?

No comments:

Post a Comment