Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Proof

In most religions it is understood that the purpose of life is to serve god. Some religions venture into why god created us. In my faith, the Gaudiya Vaisnava Sampradaya as taught by A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, it is made clear that god, or Krishna, created us living beings for association.


Otherwise would being god not be lonely?


What’s in it for us? Eternal happiness at the end of the day, when we have proved ourselves worthy and we can return to heaven.


It sounds good, but sometimes I doubt whether I want to go back to godhead. Eternal happiness can sound impersonal. The spiritual world is very personal, I am told. But, like everyone else, I can’t remember my past lives and what came before them.


I have felt happiness in my life and I am anxious to feel more. The spiritual world, on the other hand, can seem at times like a leap of faith in a god that sent you to a planet that most of the time resembles hell.


What keeps me on my spiritual path? Despite not having any remembrance of the spiritual world, I have experienced it. I have been there in Kirtan, while reading transcendental books, while in the company of saintly people. This is the only proof I have of Krishna, of God, of Heaven and of Hell.


It’s good enough for me.

1 comment:

  1. What of Faith not churned by doubt nor moored by reason?
    The safe harbours you have found in wisdom, bliss and uplifting relationships inspire me on my journey too. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete